Monday, September 26, 2016

Sentence Sneak Peek - Drag Teen

Drag Teen by Jeffery Self

The first sentence from each chapter of Drag Teen, it's a mini summary of what you can expect to read.

* Spoilers are highlighted like so :)

“THIS ISN’T ONE OF THOSE stories about a heartwarming journey toward accepting my cursed homosexual identity.”

“THE LATE SHIFT AT THE gas station usually meant dealing with people who were pretty drunk.”

“I HATE TESTS.”

“AND WITHOUT FURTHER ADO …”

“ONCE IT WAS IN THERE, I couldn’t get the idea out of my head.”

“I MIGHT REGRET THIS, BUT I want to do it.”

“WITH THE ISSUE OF MY parents behind me and the first day of spring break being four nights away, I sent in my application for the pageant, which made the whole thing feel real, official, and utterly intimidating.”

“WE FOLLOWED OUR NEW FRIENDS from the diner in Seth’s car.”

“SETH WAS RIGHT BEHIND ME.”

“WE GOT UP LATE THE next day and hit the road.”

“SORRY ’BOUT THE MESS,” TINA said, throwing her coat over the sofa as soon as we got into the house.”

“WITH A VOICE LIKE YOURS, I’ll kill you if I ever catch you smoking a cigarette.”

“IT WAS CLOUDY BY THE time we got to Ocean City.”

“SEEING THE SIGN THAT READ NEW YORK CITY— 50 MILES gave me legitimate goose bumps.”

“WE WEREN’T CRAZY ABOUT DRIVING again in Manhattan, so we left the car where it was and took a mind-blowingly expensive cab over to the mysterious-sounding XXXL, which turned out to be a not-so-mysterious enormous gay club.”

“THE ENGINE SPUTTERED AND THE car came to a halt in the middle of the four-lane street. Immediately, a symphony of car horns sounded behind us, with agitated voices shouting at us, in a menagerie of languages, to get the hell out of the road.”

“THE NEXT MORNING WAS THE first day of the pageant.”

“NATHAN LEARY ARRIVED AFTER LUNCH.”

“I WAS ON CLOUD NINE when I met up with Heather and Seth after rehearsal at the cutest New York cafĂ© around the corner, which I realized once I walked inside was actually just a Starbucks.”

“SETH CAME BACK A FEW minutes later, shaking his head.”

“I DIDN’T SMOKE.”

“MR. HART?”

“THERE WAS A LOUD MURMUR from the audience as they took their seats on the other side of the big red curtain.”

“ONCE I GOT OFFSTAGE, EVERYONE was coming up to me and telling me congratulations.”

“THERE WAS A SHORT INTERMISSION as the judges deliberated.”

DARYL’S LOFT WAS REALLY COOL, like nowhere I had ever been.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, let me know what you think. Hope you enjoy the blog, I love reading each and every comment. :)