Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Sentence Sneak Peek - All Fixed Up

All Fixed Up by Linda Grimes

The first sentence from each chapter of All Fixed Up, it's a mini summary of what you can expect to read.

* Received from the publisher for review
* Spoilers are highlighted like so :)

Weightlessness, I decided, was overrated.”

“The Johnson Space Center was a hive of buzzing reporters by the time we arrived from Ellington Field, where the Vomit Comet had mercifully touched down without incident.”

Loughlin pulled me toward the nearest exit.”

“My phone vibrated in my pocket right after I boarded the Metro train.”

Aunt Helen’s funeral was a suitably somber affair, unless you counted the flashes of joy in Mom’s and Auntie Mo’s eyes every time they glanced at Laura.”

“I stood in line at Macy’s Santaland, wearing the clothes and aura of Molly’s good friend Olivia Hawkins, a cherub-faced child with a halo of golden-brown curls and eyes the color of old pennies.”

“My phone buzzed in my hand, quickly followed by the James Bond theme song.”

“Okay, I thought later, while I was beating the shit out of a heavy bag.”

“Back at James’s apartment, seated on his comfortable overstuffed sofa between him and Devon, I reiterated for the umpteenth time that I was fine, maybe a little overtired was all, and possibly affected by the combination of Thomas and Laura’s baby news and the murders of Aunt Helen and Mason.”

“Billy!”

“Here you go, Dr. Carson.”

“I dropped my double cheeseburger and fries on the kitchen counter, along with another bag, and went to the fridge for a bottle of designer water.”

Four sticks were lined up on the bathroom vanity, like soldiers in a firing squad, each aiming straight for my gut.”

“The roses on the hall stand weren’t dead, but they were seriously drooping.”

“Do you want to stop by Billy’s and pick up your gun before I take you to your parents’ place?”

“I bummed a ride to my parents’ house with one of the security guys (young, dark, hunky-homely, and, I was sure, very well armed).”

“The milky sun was low in the sky by the time we got to the Wollman Rink in Central Park.”

“Mark’s off-the-grid apartment was in a sketchy part of town, a tiny jewel hidden behind a façade that would embarrass a slumlord.”

“Mark stood.”

“Mark dropped me at my parents’, leaving me in what one of my favorite high school science teachers would have referred to as a state of disequilibrium.”

“I’m sure Ciel doesn’t appreciate your planning her life for her,” Billy said good-naturedly, his questioning eyes meeting mine briefly before he was surrounded by Doyles large and small.”

Comprehension hit Billy’s face like a hammer.”

“I turned to Billy.”

“I looked out over the small auditorium at fifty or so alert and interested faces.”

“Rudy was looking dazed but better.”

Mark was sitting up in the hospital bed, champing at the bit to get dressed and get out, waiting to be released by the company doctor who’d been sent to see him.”

Grumpy climbed to the top of the tree in the living room again!”

“Mom was passing through the center hall on the way to the kitchen when I came in.”

“The address Loughlin had given me turned out to be a small storefront coffee shop.”

“Initial inspections showed the explosion hadn’t caused structural damage to any of the homes in the vicinity.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, let me know what you think. Hope you enjoy the blog, I love reading each and every comment. :)