Thursday, November 12, 2015

Review - Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard: The Sword of Summer

Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard: The Sword of Summer by Rick Riordan

5 out of 5 gnomes

Dear Magnus Chase,

You my dear are a whole different animal than what I’ve read from Rick Riordan before. I loved the Percy Jackson series and The Heroes of Olympus was awesome even if it had a pretty blah ending, and I never got around to reading the series he wrote about Egyptian Gods. This new take on Norse mythology though is really cool.

Stuff goes unexpectedly right from the beginning but makes perfect sense as you read it. Like the description of the book itself says: “Sometimes, the only way to start a new life is to die . . .” That little bit of info there was truly surprising but it lets you explore some truly interesting places.

You my beautiful book show relationships very well. His friends and family are all extremely different people. Yet all of these relationships feel real and will have you rooting for all of the characters.

Valkryies, Valhalla, Norse gods a plenty, and a plethora of other creatures and surprises leads to one heck of a fabulous start to this trilogy. Unexpected happenings abound and if you’re like me you’ll truly be surprised while reading.

Unlike past heroes written by Riordan, Magnus isn’t exactly a fighter and that’s pretty refreshing as he finds ways around that. I can’t wait to watch Magnus’s character grow and see how the rest of the worlds come into play.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, let me know what you think. Hope you enjoy the blog, I love reading each and every comment. :)