Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Thrilling Throne

Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

5 out of 5 gnomes

I adore this book with its political intrigue and a kick-butt assassin who is a lot more than people think she is. I was wary of all the hype surrounding this book but I really should have believed it, it's so good and reminds me of the Magic Study series which is one of my favorites.

This is definitely my kind of fantasy world with some intense world building and striking characters. I like the names in the book but don’t really have a clue how to pronounce Celaena’s or Chaol’s name. It's great that everything's not black and white with the main character because she's an assassin but you really root for her. The story looks cut and dry at first but then you start to see the layers to the characters and how everybody has a motive. The story is full of strong characters with a lot to prove.

The potential magic of this world is interesting. Magic has essentially disappeared and it’s not even a good idea to talk about it. The story is already magical without magic but there is a massive threat out there that only magic may be able to stop.

The love triangle is actually well done and makes sense as in I’m not a hundred percent sure right away who she might pick. I’m a fan of Chaol more than Dorian but there are legitimate reasons why she might end up with either guy. She has some pretty intense chemistry with both Dorian and Chaol. Who knows she might end up being her own woman and picking neither guy.

The competition in the story is crazy and shows just how determined Celaena is. The King wants a Champion and this competition will ensure that the best one wins. Celaena needs to win for many reasons and it’s a wild ride seeing all the challenges.

The final battle is epic and shows some hints of what the future might hold. There are more mysteries to solve and the end of the book was truly surprising.

I can’t wait to have Celaena’s past explained more because I think there’s a lot to be revealed. I was happy with how the book ended and can’t wait to see what happens next.

2 comments:

  1. This is a gorgeous cover. Is she related to Donald Maas by any chance?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I love the covers for this series. :) I'm not sure if she's related to him.

      Delete

Hi, let me know what you think. Hope you enjoy the blog, I love reading each and every comment. :)