Thursday, January 16, 2014

Sentence Sneak Peek - Altered

Altered by Jennifer Rush

The first sentence from each chapter of Altered, it's a mini summary of what you can expect to read.

* Spoilers are highlighted like so :)

“FOR MOST OF THE LAST FOUR YEARS, I wasn’t allowed in the lab.”

“EVERY WEDNESDAY MORNING, MY DAD made a pitcher of lemonade—fresh-squeezed, lots of sugar—and I made cookies.”

“WHEN I FIRST DISCOVERED THE BOYS in the lab, Nick immediately scared the crap out of me.”

“THAT NIGHT AT DINNER, I PICKED AT my bowl of chili, running the spoon through it in a figure-eight pat-tern.”

“I SET MY ALARM CLOCK FOR SIX THE next morning, thinking I’d sneak into the lab before Dad got up.”

CONNOR HIT THE CONTROL BUTTONS and the rooms’ vents opened, expelling the gas.”

“GIVE ME THE LAYOUT,” SAM SAID ONCE we reached the top of the stairs.”

“SAM HAD SEVERAL CRITERIA A VEHI-cle had to meet before he’d steal it.”

“A FEW HOURS EARLIER, I’D RUN MY fingers over the familiar words written by my mother in her journal.”

“A FEW MONTHS EARLIER, TREV AND I had had a conversation about mothers, and families in general.”

“I PROPPED MYSELF UP ON AN ELBOW.”

“SAM HAD BROKEN INTO A MAINTENANCE garage toward the back of the cemetery, where he found two shovels.”

“AFTER WE LEFT LANCASTER, DREARY clouds blotted out the sun, spitting rain against the windshield.”

“I DIDN’T TALK TO SAM MUCH FOR THE next few days.”

“THAT NIGHT AFTER DINNER, I ESCAPED into one of the bedrooms with a pencil I’d dredged up from the back of a drawer.”

“THAT NIGHT, I WOKE TO A SCUFFLING noise.”

“I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE NEARLY IMPOS-sible to unwind enough to lie down again, but I managed to sleep for a few more hours.”

“STOP THEM!”

“IN THE HOUR IT TOOK US TO REACH the cabin, Sam never moved.”

“I GOT A NAME,” NICK SAID WHEN WE met up.”

“WITH EVERYTHING THAT’D HAPPENED, Sam decided it’d be best if we ditched the Jeep and stole something new.”

“LATER THAT NIGHT, I LAY IN BED OVER-analyzing the slant of moonlight on the trees outside, hoping the act of mentally sketching would overpower everything else crowding my head.”

“I LOOKED AT THE CLOCK HANGING ABOVE the fireplace.”

“MY HEAD POUNDED EVEN HARDER.”

“GROWING UP, I’D DESPERATELY WANTED to know my mother.”

“LATER, IN MY ROOM, I KICKED OFF my shoes and lay back on the bed.”

“SAM HOISTED HIMSELF UP AND OVER the banister, landing on the stair above me.”

“GET UP.”

“I SHOULD HAVE STAYED IN THE MOTEL room, should have quieted the rumbling in my stomach because I was starving.”

“I FELT NUMB ALL OVER AS I TRUDGED down the sidewalk.”

“SAM AND I SPLIT UP TO CHECK THE rest of the house.”

DAD ANSWERED HIS CELL PHONE ON the third ring.”

“THE CLOSEST BRANCH OFFICE WAS IN a shoreline town—Cam Marie, Michigan.”

“I AM DONE PLAYING GAMES,” CONNOR said.”

“THE BRITTLE GRASS CRUNCHED BENEATH me as I sat in front of the headstones in the middle of Port Cadia Cemetery.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, let me know what you think. Hope you enjoy the blog, I love reading each and every comment. :)