Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Fairy Tales...The Prequel

The School for Good and Evil by Soman Chainani

5 out of 5 tiara wearing bats

I love this book.  The characters really come to life.  It makes you think of all the different fairy tales.   Have you ever noticed that in those all the characters seem to have certain survival skills.  Well now we know why that is.  It’s not just some coinsidence, they went through training. :)

Love the set up of the town beyond the woods and really hope to see a sequeal or at least short stories explaining the towns connection to the fairy tales more.  I have to admit if I was a member of this town and sure I was going to the good school, I would happily open all my windows and doors the night of the school master’s visit.

The differences and dynamics of the schools are awesome.  The good school’s candy classrooms really would be so tempting, I’m amazed that more of the classrooms don’t get eaten.  The descriptions the book paints for the different rooms in the dungeons of the evil school and the halls of the good school really make you feel like you’re there.

Hester is one of my favorite characters.  She is the Sheriff of Nottingham’s daughter.  She tends to be the leader of their little group and has a really competitive spirit.  I like her talent too.  One of the best parts where you get to see her personality is when she is talking about her father and how he promised her the first swing of the axe.  

The main characters play wonderfully off of each other.  Their friendship survives despite some twisted fairy tales coming true.  Although a couple of things about them are easy to see there are tons of unexpected twists to their stories. Their talents are so fitting but not what you would think.

I can’t say much more without giving things away so I’ll just say this, this is one of the top five books of the year for me.  This is a good read, don’t let the book’s size scare you, it draws you in and goes really fast.  Hoping to see more of this world.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, let me know what you think. Hope you enjoy the blog, I love reading each and every comment. :)