Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Irresistible Invisibility

Invisibility by Andrea Cremer and David Levithan

5 out of 5 gnomes

This book is all sorts of awesome and the ending was unexpected but pretty darn perfect. The dual point of view is so well done and there are so many quotable moments. This feels like one of those stories that you can read over and over and always find something new.

I love all the characters but this book has awesome side characters too. Her brother Laurie is kind of the glue of the family and also understanding when all the craziness starts.

It's great that we actually see the parents of the characters and that they do (well at least one of them does) notice when different things are going on. Lets just say there is a lot of emotional turmoil around both sets of parents.

Elizabeth and Stephen are a really intriguing couple because their circumstances aren’t exactly normal.  Their first meeting is funny because it’s so unexpected for Stephen. Elizabeth has a lot to get used to and even more to get used to once she meets Stephen. Her family has had plenty of problems so she's trying to start anew in New York.

Stephen’s predicament of being invisible is heartbreaking because of how much it cuts him off from the real world.  It’s hard to imagine especially being alone and invisible, he can’t even see what he looks like.  Just imagine being invisible to yourself too, I know if I was I’d probably couldn't even cut my fingernails properly. There's no bad invisible stunts he's just kind of adrift in the world until Elizabeth shows up.

The explanation for his invisibility is well done and adds more twists to the story.  The story already felt rather magical and then things get real strange when he finds out why he was cursed.

This story is full of some sarcasm, snark, and plenty of heart.  The ending is unexpected and I wish that it was a series, I guess I'll just have to hope for a short story.  I highly recommend this book for the stupendous characters and story.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, let me know what you think. Hope you enjoy the blog, I love reading each and every comment. :)