Friday, April 19, 2013

Radical Red

Written in Red by Anne Bishop

5 out of 5 gnomes

This book was so very good, good as in if this book was a person I would so want to be best friends with it, have adventures, etc...  I’ve been a fan of Anne Bishop’s books since I first discovered them in high school and this book only makes me love this author’s writing even more.  

This is the kind of book where I want to know absolutely everything about all of these characters.  I want to know about each and every one of the different gards (especially the Crowgard and the Beargards) and if there is a limit to what The Others are and what they can transform into. It’s always cool to be able to be so immersed in a world that you want to know everything about it.

World Building
The shapeshifters in this book are refreshingly different and the world building is very well done.  I like how even the names of the days and major cities/areas are something new.  It really makes you imagine how different the world would be if humans weren’t in control of everything.

Having human law not apply on the Others land and Courtyards was a point that helped show how in control they really are of the world. Humans are indeed really low on the food chain and not very “special” except in some rare circumstances.

The history of this world feels epic and like it could be a book in its own right.  I feel like there is just so much to learn about this world and that there will be some intriguing stories in the future.

Characters
Simon is in some ways a typical alpha male but he’s in charge of the Courtyard/runs a bookstore which means his life isn’t exactly stress free. He meets Meg and that’s when things really get interesting.  

Meg’s character is indeed special and not a human that you usually see out and about in the world.  She’s had what we would call a very unsavory/untraditional upbringing.  She’s like a blank slate in some ways but there’s a sweetness and resolve to her that intrigues many of the characters.

I really enjoyed the what would normally be called vampires and the way they feed is one that I wouldn’t have thought of before.  

The other fascinating group were the Crowgard because of their curiousity and how much they love the shiny.  

These characters all interact so well together and there are plenty of both serious and funny moments.

Lingering Questions/Things I Want to Know
WHAT IS TESS (I would like to know exactly what she is, it’s hinted at but I’m looking for a name.)
What are the Crowgard building?
Who is the main bad guy and what is his next evil plan going to be?
Will Meg fall in love and if so, with who?

Ending
The end was pretty darn perfect ending on a light note yet making you wish the next book would be here ASAP.  I wholeheartedly recommend this book to anyone that loves Urban Fantasy/discovering new worlds and characters.

2 comments:

  1. I loved this book too. Great review and found a new author to me. Enjoyed the light romance but loved the world building even more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome, yeah it was a really great read. Thanks, I'm glad you found this author (I really highly recommend all of her books) :)

      Totally agree with you on the world building, I really love how Bishop builds worlds that immerse you right into the story.

      Delete

Hi, let me know what you think. Hope you enjoy the blog, I love reading each and every comment. :)