Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Learning Limits

Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry

* ARC provided by the publisher for review

5 out of 5 gnomes

This is one of those books that just keeps drawing you in.  I found myself utterly absorbed while reading it, I stayed up until three in the morning on multiple days until I finished.  

There is indeed a lot of pushing the limits throughout the book, just like the title implies.  You see the limits of families and really the limits of sanity too.  

Echo and Noah definitely have some serious issues but their chemistry is pretty darn electric.  I love getting to read both of their perspectives throughout the book.  They both aren’t exactly sure how to be in a good relationship but you get to see them discover more about themselves and each other.  They really do grow up as the book progresses.

Echo’s mom is more than a little crazy.  There are hints of how crazy but when Echo finally remembers what happened on the day she can’t forget it leads to an intense fallout.  This is not something you easily heal from and it’s understandable why Echo had forgotten the whole day.

Mrs. Collins has to be one of the most well written adults that I’ve seen in YA books lately.  She’s a great therapist that just seems to see right into these kid’s psyches.  I like how subtle she was and how she stood up for both Echo and Noah.  Especially a certain scene with Noah towards the end because you could see that she too was broken hearted/emotional over the choice that he had to make.  

These characters feel very real and you’ll find yourself worrying about how they’re going to end up.  This is an engrossing read and I know I for one can’t wait to read what McGarry writes next.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, let me know what you think. Hope you enjoy the blog, I love reading each and every comment. :)