Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Sentence Sneak Peek - Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend

Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend by Matthew Dicks

The first sentence from each chapter of Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend, it's a mini summary of what you can expect to read.

* Spoilers are highlighted like so :)
* Received from NetGalley for Review

“Here is what I know:
My name is Budo.”

“I am lucky as imaginary friends go.”

“Max’s first-grade teacher once said that houseflies live for about three days.”

“Max’s teacher is Mrs. Gosk.”

“Do you think I’m real?”

“Max is in the bathroom stall.”

“Max is worried that Tommy will tell on him the same way that he told on Tommy about the Swiss Army knife.”

“I saw Graham today.”

“I can’t believe we didn’t think of this sooner.”

“Max is mad at me because I have been spending so much time with Graham.”

“I tell Max that I’m going to check on Tommy Swinden again.”

“Mrs. Gosk is teaching math.”

“Max did not go to school today.”

“The gas station is at the end of the street and six blocks over.”

“The ambulance people took Dee and Sally away in two separate vans.”

Dee and Sally are not back on Saturday or Sunday night.”

“I’m worried about Max.”

“We are sitting inside Dr. Hogan’s office.”

“I’m following Max.”

“Max won’t talk to me.”

Mrs. Patterson is not in school today.”

“I sit on the curb and wait.”

“The whole school is in something called lockdown.”

“Karen, I can’t believe the news,” Mrs. Patterson says.”

“Max’s mom and dad are standing behind the counter in the office.”

Chief Norton told Max’s mom and dad that he had not given up hope on finding Max somewhere in the neighborhood, but that he is “shifting the focus of the investigation in a different direction.”

“There are two police officers at the house tonight, and they are the kind of police officers who don’t sleep.”

“The Children’s Hospital is across the street from the regular hospital, but I don’t go to the regular hospital anymore.”

“I ride the elevator down with a man who is pushing a machine on wheels.”

Max’s mom will not stop crying.”

“The blue backpack is not in the backseat anymore.”

Mrs. Patterson opens the door and climbs into the driver’s seat.”

“I do not wait for Mrs. Patterson.”

“I go back inside the house.”

“My first thought is that Mrs. Patterson is an imaginary friend and I did not realize it.”

“The light is blinding.”

“I can’t believe it.”

“Max and I are playing with army men when the door opens and Mrs. Patterson comes in.

“Max is finally asleep.”

“I hear Max’s voice.”

“I think about not telling Max that I am leaving.”

Mrs. Patterson sings the hammer song twice and then turns on the radio.”

Max’s desk is still empty.”

Mrs. Palmer looks tired.”

“I ride the school bus home but get off at the Savoys’ house again since the bus did not stop for Max.”

“I start at the Children’s Hospital.”

“Here is what I know about Oswald:
1. He is so tall that his head almost touches the ceiling.”

Oswald is my only chance,” I say.”

“How did you do that?”

“We are standing at the front doors to the hospital.”

“Mrs. Gosk once read a story to the class about a boy named Pinocchio.”

“We are sitting in Mrs. Gosk’s classroom.”

Oswald stays with Mrs. Gosk all day.”

“What’s the matter?”

“The Problems with Getting Max Home
1. Max is afraid of the dark.”

“Max is expecting Mrs. Patterson to walk through the door.”

Mrs. Patterson is in her bedroom.”

“Max is standing behind a tree.”

“Max reaches the end of Mrs. Patterson’s street and stops.”

“I do not know how long we have been walking when we pass the Savoys’ house.”

“Do you know what you are . . .”

“I was right.”

epilogue“I open my eyes.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, let me know what you think. Hope you enjoy the blog, I love reading each and every comment. :)