Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Tiny Reverse Vampire Reviews - Inkarna

Inkarna by Nerine Dorman

* Book provided by the author for review



3 tiara wearing bats out of 5 bats

I wish I could have seen more of the stuff in the beginning with the point of view of Lizzy and Leo together.  I love Leo but you don’t get to see a lot of her. What you do is really well written though.

The book had a slow start and was a bit confusing at the beginning.  It seems not to really give you any of the information beforehand, it teaches you along the way.

The story as a whole is good and interesting but it feels as though it needs a companion piece or a glossary at the beginning to explain what various things and people are.  I am okay with the whole learning as you go method but in this piece it just feels like too much info is being thrown at you at once.  It makes you feel that at least some basic knowledge of Egyptian lore is required.

My favorite character has to be ghost Ashton.  It is easy to see from his point of view of and I have to admit in that situation I would probably have a lot  of the same thoughts as him.

Favorite Scene:
The first time Lizzy/Ash meditate.  I love the discriptors.  It paints a really cool pic of exactly what a pissed of ghost can do.

Main dislike of the story:
Marlise. Don’t get me wrong, her personality fit the situation but I have never really been a fan of the completely codependent female characters. The couple of times that she shows a backbone are awesome but they are just fleeting moments.  She gets beyond opening her mind to what Lizzy/Ash is telling her but never really seemed to grow as a character. I’m just sad that more has not been done with her, especially with what some of the stuff in the meditation scene seemed to be alluding to. Hopefully that will come in the next book.

The ending made me laugh out loud, I never saw it coming but that is so what Ashton would do.

A plot centuries in the making, alliances with ghost, and a female souls within a male bodies all come together for an interesting read.
A Tiny Reverse Vampire Post

4 comments:

  1. LOL, ugh Marlise. Totally wanted to smack her many, many times. Agreed on the Egyptian lore knowledge, this is something that would be better explained piece by piece in the next book. The story was fabulous and for some reason, the book remained stuck to my fingers. And yeah, the ending. I wanted to smile and weep at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think she probably brings that instinct in everyone. I really didn't like her but at the same time I want to see her do more.Loved the ending and cannot wait to see where they go with it.

      Delete
  2. There's a reason Marlise is the way she is, but it will be revealed in book two. And I'm sure people will want to come at me with steak knives. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I was getting worried she was reminding me way too much of Audrey from little Shop of Horrors.

      Delete

Hi, let me know what you think. Hope you enjoy the blog, I love reading each and every comment. :)