Monday, April 30, 2012

Sentence Sneak Peek - The Forgetting Curve

The Forgetting Curve by Angie Smibert

The first sentence from each chapter of The Forgetting Curve, it's a mini summary of what you can expect to read.

* ARC provided by the publisher
* Spoilers are highlighted like so :)

* Book will be released May 1, 2012


"It all started with a door."

"It was only some freaking car bombs," my roomie, Chase Loudon, complained."

"My eyelids were like lead, and the world wouldn't come into focus."

"Do not wear fishnet stockings and a boiled wool skirt to a dank garage."

"The glossy bit of code was as smooth as glass, with no place to grab onto, no hidden doors for me to rattle open."

"We were in a cab."

"As soon as we pulled up to the gate, I fished my mobile out of my pack."

"Winter?"

"Somebody did need to do some explaining, but I didn't know who that somebody was."

"Pink and lime green."

"Mom dragged me around to a few high-end shops at the Hub."

"You're as bad as Micah," Winter said as we walked through the security checkpoint into the parking garage."

"Huxley's was deader than usual—and I really couldn't afford to keep recycling my paycheck through the shop's antiquated till."

"Over dinner that night, which Mom ordered in from some Thai place, she and Dad talked work."

"The clock blinked seven AM at me, and for a brief sleepy moment, I wondered why on Earth I'd set the alarm."

"Aunt Spring met me in the lobby of Nomura's Research and Development Division."

"For the next few days, I was stuck in a loop of crushing boredom."

"The MemeCast lasted only a few minutes."

"Finally."

"New amendment to the Book of Velvet: when a cute rich guy asks you to hang out, be worried if he shows up with an antenna made out of a potato chip can."

"A freight train clattered by behind us as we stood at the entrance to the scrapyard."

"I didn't want to go."

"Aiden walked me to my door."

"I had so much to tell Winter."

"I woke up as the sun was setting, the heat still heavy on my brain."

"I was on information overload, and the universe was no freaking help."

"The boys were skating at the old Twinkie factory on Salem Avenue."

"Another day, another zero dollars in cubicleland."

"I avoided the whole garage rehearsal scene as the boys worked out the music."

"Dad and I didn't say much at breakfast today."

"Sometimes the universe slaps you across the face, and all of the pieces click into place—and the picture wasn't what you'd thought it was."

"I told Jao to take my aunt and uncle back home, and then I took a cab to see Mr. Yamada."

"We'd gotten pretty ballsy about handing out the Meme-Fest flyers."

"Nora, Maia, and Abby were already heading toward the street exit, but I could hear their convo as I half jogged up from behind, breaking my own rule about running."

"As I stepped on the Skywalk, I heard a rumble in the dis-tance like thunder."

"Jao paced the foyer."

"When I woke up this morning, my head felt clear."

"Do not volunteer for something until you're sure it doesn't include manual labor."

"I slipped in the back way, through the semi-secret panel in the fence."

"We retreated to Winter's workshop."

"Big night."

"The front door announced that we had visitors."

"The Wannabes started playing "Anything Girl," one of my songs."

"A concert, young lady?"

"We have to go get her," Winter pleaded."

"Mom chopped chicken for the yakitori while Dad and Grandfather watched the news."

"The doorbell rang, and I pulled myself out of my depressed coach-potato stupor long enough to answer it."

"In my dreams, I saw Velvet being dragged away by the black vans."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, let me know what you think. Hope you enjoy the blog, I love reading each and every comment. :)