Monday, February 6, 2012

Sentence Sneak Peek - Glimmer

Glimmer by Phoebe Kitanidis

The first sentence from each chapter of Glimmer, it's a mini summary of what you can expect to read.

* Spoilers are highlighted like so
:)
* Book will be released April 17, 2012
*
ARC read via Around The World ARC Tours

"I COME TO LIFE WITH A GASP IN THE DARKNESS."

"I DIVE INTO CLEAR, ICY WATER AND SINK DOWN deep."

"A LOUD THUMP-THUMP SOUND INVADES THE AIR, making my heart leap toward my throat."

"YOU'D THINK SHE'D BE HAPPIER NOT TO BE naked anymore, but she's frowning down at herself in bewilderment, her heart-shaped face looking like it's about to crumple."

"THERE YOU ARE."

"HEY, WHAT ARE WE RUNNING FROM?"

"ALTON."

"SURE."

"MY ROOM IS IN THE EAST TOWER."

"YEAH . . . FIGURED THAT ONE OUT."

"LIZ OPENS A PALE BLUE ALBUM."

"SO, WHAT WAS THAT GUY JIM TALKING ABOUT?"

"FRESH WHITE PAINT GLEAMS ON THE FAUX-Greek columns of the Summer Falls Public Library, making the building look new even though, from the style, I can tell it must be old."

"I FIGURE THAT CROWDS ALWAYS KNOW WHEN something important's about to start, so as the sun's setting I head off in the direction of town square, where a large mob is gathering."

"OKAY, WHAT DO YOU DO WHEN YOU DON'T LIKE your best friends?"

"WORD SPREADS FAST THROUGH THE CROWD."

"I GRAB ON TO MY LIMO DRIVER'S OUTSTRETCHED hand and step out to face the waiting crowd—my crowd."

"MISS NIFFENHAUER-ACCORDING TO HER GOLD nameplate—looks like an aging Tinker Bell, swimming in a dark green suit that might fit a linebacker."

"NO SURPRISE, I CAN'T CONCENTRATE IN ANY OF my classes."

"THE CAFETERIA'S CROWDED AND BUZZING WITH conversation, laughter, and jeers, each metal table a tribe unto itself, but not a single person looks up as I walk in."

"AFTER SCHOOL ENDS, I WALK WITH CARLA TO the outdoor locker bay and watch her robotically switch out her textbooks for other ones."

"TO KILL TIME BEFORE MEETING MR. ENGLISH AT Mollie's, I zigzag down Main Street and wander down side streets, checking out smaller storefronts."

"I LINGER IN THE WOMEN'S LOCKER ROOM, SHOW-ering off each and every molecule of chlorine, then slowly slipping on the cutoff jeans and white T-shirt packed neatly down at the bottom of my backpack."

"I PACE THE BLOCK FOUR TIMES BEFORE I CAN bring myself to climb the steps to Bill King's front porch."

"MARSHALL STARES AT THE PAPER, HIS DARK EYES burning through it."

"EVA PUSHES HER TORTOISESHELL GLASSES ON top of her electric black hair and spins the hotel swivel chair to face me."

"AFTER A FEW MOMENTS, HE SINKS DOWN TO HIS knees and takes both my hands in his."

"I SEARCH THE CROWD OF FAIRGOERS ON MAIN Street but can't see Elyse, and I get tired pretty quickly of drunk and dropped tourists constantly bumping into me because they didn't notice I was there."

"FOR WHAT FEELS LIKE AN HOUR, I WAIT FOR MY biological father to give me a sign that it's okay to leave the closet."

"TWILIGHT AND THE THUNDER CRACK OF BAT HIT-ing ball."

"PRESTON HOUSE IS DARK AND QUIET WHEN I enter, so I'm hoping my parents have taken the tourists for a mind-clearing hike up at the falls."

"AFTER ELYSE LEAVES I STAY ON THE FLOOR, where she told me to sit, for a long, long time."

"THE BUS IS HALF EMPTY AND TAKES AN HOUR TO get to the hot, loud, crowded train station."

"UNLIKE JEREMY AND RUTA, UNLIKE ALL THE other people I've witnessed having heatnaps, Bill doesn't wake up seconds later."

"I'M CUTTING THROUGH THE SQUARE ON MY WAY to Marshall's house, ready to break into a run at any sudden shimmery movements, when I spot the crouched figure shivering behind the statue of W.P. Preston."

"WELCOME BACK, AGENT KING."

"AFTER I LEAVE BLANK-MARSHALL AND ELIZA-beth behind on the trail—with instructions to follow in ten minutes—I walk up to Joe's log cabin and take a deep breath."

"WHEN I SWING THE MINI IN FRONT OF THE STATE mental health facility, he's waiting for me out in the sunny cold."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, let me know what you think. Hope you enjoy the blog, I love reading each and every comment. :)