Monday, December 19, 2011

Sentence Sneak Peek - Dead to You

Dead to You by Lisa McMann

The first sentence from each chapter of Dead to You, it's a mini summary of what you can expect to read.


* Spoilers are highlighted like so
:)
* Book will be released February 7, 2012
* ARC read via
Around The World ARC Tours


"There are three of them."

"I take a deep breath, hold it, and force myself to step out from under the awning into the yellow light."

"Dad comes in for a group hug, and we are suddenly stepping on each other's feet, not sure where to put our heads in the crowded space."

"Instead, I ask him."

"Dad ushers me in first."

"During the night the phone rings."

"I roll over on the couch and watch the morning activities from my dimly lit corner of the living room."

"After my shower, I slip past Mama on the phone and head to the basement wearing a pair of my dad's sweatpants, safety-pinned to keep them up, and a flan-nel button-down shirt."

"...These are the questions I dread, but I thought I could answer them."

"Alexandra: Ethan?"

"Things are happening backward."

"What starts out as a quiet visit by Grandpa and Grandma De Wilde turns into an extended family reunion."

"Friday night doesn't end until Sunday."

"And then they're kissing."

"Gracie's stirring mushy chocolate ice cream in a bowl when I walk in the kitchen."

"I lie awake in bed for a half hour, thinking, before I climb out and go to the kitchen for a drink."

"At breakfast Dad looks at me with a half smile that says Mama told him everything."

"The days crawls along and I get through them, doing most of my homework and flirting a little, not too much."

"When I come to, it's chaos."

"They examine me at the hospital."

"They wake me up all night, every hour or two, I think."

"From my basement location, I can just barely hear Mama and Dad talking somewhere above my head."

"In bed at night, Blake and I don't talk, we just listen to Mama and Dad arguing in their room next door."

"A loud whisper wakes me up."

"Dinner is more awkward than ever."

"From the street, I glance up at the big picture window, and there's Gracie, nose pressed against it, her little hands cupped around her eyes, peering out at me."

"Hi."

"The wind has stopped and the snowplows are out, throwing the snow impossibly high along the sides of the roads."

"I spend the day wandering, and by afternoon, I'm cold and starving."

"I'm hiding in the basement when Dad gets home, but he doesn't come after me."

"Thursday comes, and after school, we all pile into the car to drop of Gracie at Grandpa and Grandma's while the rest of us go to see Dr. Frost."

"My eyes spring open and my stomach muscles seize up."

"At breakfast, I can't even look at Blake."

"Fuck off."

"I pound him."

"And it's not good."

"With the blood washed off, Blake's face doesn't look nearly as bad."

"It's dark and way after ten when I hear finger-nails tapping on glass."

"Sunday morning Mama drags us all to church, and I'm surprised it's held right at my high schoolno church building."

"It's all good, Cami texts."

"Blake walks up to the table and our conversation stops."

"I sit in the dark in my old familiar spot beneath the vent, curled up with a blanket, my teeth chattering."

"I wake up, drool sliding down my chin, and all my muscles ache."

"It's so hard to look at Blake out here at the bus stop."

"At least nothing else bad happens, unless you count silence."

"It's a windy spring day."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, let me know what you think. Hope you enjoy the blog, I love reading each and every comment. :)