Thursday, November 17, 2011

Sentence Sneak Peek - When the Sea is Rising Red

When the Sea is Rising Red by Cat Hellisen

The first sentence from each chapter of When the Sea is Rising Red, it's a mini summary of what you can expect to read.

* All first sentences are from an ARC I read via Around The World ARC Tours
* Spoilers are highlighted like so :)


"SHE'S NOT HERE."

"OH GRIS!"

"THIS TIME, I think as I fill my bag, this time, I won't come back."

"BY THE TIME I see the Levelling Bridge, the sun is streaking the horizon pink."

"METAL CLANGS AGAINST METAL, and when that sound fades, the shrieks of the seabirds rise."

"NALA, STILL BAREFOOT, walks ahead of me, her feet slap-ping against the paving stones."

"THREE DAYS LATER and I'm sick to the teeth of the smell of tea and cakes, the feel of soapy water, and the lamentations of crakes."

"THE NEXT AFTERNOON when I hang up my apron at the end of my shift, I get my first pay packet."

"THERE'S NO SIGN of Lils the following morning."

"AFTER MY UNFORTUNATE ENCOUNTER with Dash and the wrong side of the law, I've been wandering through the mar-ket on what's left of my day off, keeping and eye open for a vendor who will neither look twice nor ask questions about my old hair clips and jewelry."

"WORK IS EQUAL PARTS dull and busy."

"GIDDY WITH VAI AND MAGIC AND MUSIC we spill out into the streets."

"THE SANDWALKER HOUSE CROUCHES high on the slopes of a hillside, looking down over New Town."

"THE HARSH CAWS of a passing flock of ibis break the morn-ing stillness."

"WE RETURN FROM LAMBS' ISLAND, sacks heavy, sand in our hair, vai on our breath."

"AND WHAT MAKES YOU THINK you still work here, eh?"

"MY ARM IS CURLED loosely around a warm body, my face against his neck."

"IT TAKES ONLY A SPLIT SECOND for Dash to realize exactly what I've done."

"JANNIK'S CARRIAGE RATTLES along the broken seashells that cover the last stretch of the road up to House Pelim."

2 comments:

  1. youre so 'mean'' want it so badly

    ReplyDelete
  2. @roro, :) Well if it was actually my copy and not a touring copy I would totally let you borrow it.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, let me know what you think. Hope you enjoy the blog, I love reading each and every comment. :)