Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Awesome Anna

Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins



This book receives 5 out of 5 gnomes for having superb characters and supreme readability.  I had heard good things about this book but I had no idea that I’d love it this much.

What makes the book great is the voice of the character.  Anna Oliphant is relatable and just seems like a believable person.  I’m sure that most people would probably feel the way she does after being told by their parents that they have to go to an overseas boarding school for senior year instead of graduating at home.

I laughed a lot while reading this story, there is a lot of funny going on in these pages.  I think it’s so funny because everything in the story is easy to picture.

Watching Anna learn to fit in is really endearing because I have a feeling I’d have had some of the same problems/been an even bigger nerd then she is.  It’s great when she’s only eating bread and fruit because she doesn’t know enough French to order anything else.

Then there’s Etienne, I wasn’t sure if I liked his character at first but boy does he grow on you.  He’s a short guy but has so much confidence, also he’s pretty darn funny.  The biggest problem though for Anna anyway is that St. Clair has a girlfriend.  

His having a girlfriend of course leads to complications but also adds some great tension to the story.  Anna and St. Clair actually become friends and don’t have this insta-love that tends to plague some novels.  

Well-rounded characters, humor, and surprises makes this book a definite must read.  Stephanie Perkins is an author that I will be looking forward to reading more from.  I can't wait to read whatever she writes next.

My favorite quote:
"Any bloke with a working prick would be insane not to like you."..."Because, of course, of how intelligent you are.  And funny.  Not that you aren't attractive.  Because you are.  Attractive."... 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, let me know what you think. Hope you enjoy the blog, I love reading each and every comment. :)