Friday, February 18, 2011

Sentence Sneak Peek - Kindred

Kindred by Tammar Stein

The first sentence from each chapter of Kindred, it's a mini summary of what you can expect to read.

*All first sentences are from an ARC I read via Star Book Tours

"THE FIRST TIME I MEET AN ANGEL, it is Raphael and I am eighteen."

"PERHAPS IT IS DIVINE INTERVENTION that made Raphael choose spring break to come visit"

"IN 1429, A YOUNG PEASANT GIRL in rural France experi-enced a series of encounters with heavenly voices."

"BACK AT THE LIBRARY, I sit alone, trying to process what I've discovered."

"I DON'T KNOW if Mo is right or not."

"MY ADVISOR'S FRIEND, Frank Hale, is supposed to meet me at the bus station, but I don't see anyone who matches the image I have of him."


"TWO WEEKS INTO MY LIFE IN HAMILTON and more than a month since Raphael spoke to me and no shoes have dropped, nor have any other angels popped in for a visit." 

"ON MY WAY TO THE NEWSPAPER OFFICE, I notice the strange flags again."

"I TURN IN THE STOOL SAMPLE THE NEXT DAY, humili-ated that I'm carrying my own feces in a cup."

"WHEN I DON'T HEAR BACK from Dr. Kreger after a week, I call his office."

"THOUGH HAMILTON IS SMALL, it has three locally owned coffee shops."


"FIRST THING IN THE MORNING, I have my appointment with Dr. Messa, the gastroenterologist who agreed to see me the soonest."

"MO DOESN'T ANSWER QUESTIONS he doesn't like, and so, despite my prodding and poking, he doesn't give me a good answer for why he's here."

"IN THE MORNING, I wonder if I dreamt the whole encounter."

"TWO DAYS LATER, I'm prepping for my colonoscopy."

"WHEN I WAKE AGAIN, the afternoon sun is streaming through a gap in the curtains."

"EMMETT DROPS ME OFF at my empty apartment."

"WHEN IT COMES TIME for my weekly phone calls to my par-ents, I again fight the urge to tell them about my diagnosis."

"I NEVER INTENDED to snoop through any of Jason's things."

"WE NEED TO TALK."


"AFTER A LONG, SLEEPLESS NIGHT, I know I'm ruined for work."

"WHEN MO COMES HOME THAT EVENING, I can tell by the set of his shoulders that he's expecting another fight."

"THE NEXT DAY I HAVE MY APPOINTMENT with Dr. Messa, and I arrive in the waiting room heavy with a dull sense of dread."

"MO IS AVOIDING ME, but now that I know what I have to do, that's easy to fix."

"WHEN I ARRIVE AT JASON'S PLACE, a modest duplex in tired complex close to the local paint factory, Mo's not there."

"ONCE I'M BACK IN THE APARTMENT, I take a minute to gather my thoughts; then I call Mo's cell phone." 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, let me know what you think. Hope you enjoy the blog, I love reading each and every comment. :)