Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Sentence Sneak Peek - The Sweetest Thing

The Sweetest Thing by Christina Mandelski

The first sentence from each chapter of The Sweetest Thing, it's a mini summary of what you can expect to read.

* All first sentences are from an ARC I read via Star Book Tours.
* Book will be released on May 10. 2011
"I make cakes."

"I wish I could convince myself that the world is not spin-ning off into the stratosphere, that it will all be okay."

"I slide the folded papers into my coat pocket."

"I wake up with the perfect plan to find Mom."

"So I sit at the head of the table and wait."

"The week before Easter Sunday flies by like the snowflakes that fall daily."

"It's the night before Easter, and I am a total insomniac."

"My father calls my cell phone a few hours later and tells me that Danny, the sous-chef, is puking and that a few of the staff are also sick."

"I finally slump into the house, totally beat, at nine thirty."

"Ethan drives and talks, a lot, which gives me some time to pull myself together."

"It's like my life has taken a 180-degree turn since Palm Sunday, only a week and a half ago."

"I'm back home and pacing like a tiger I once saw at the zoo."

"It's Thursday afternoon, and Amazon hasn't texted me back ordering me to redo my sad guest list, which is a relief."

"The party for Growly starts in half an hour, but I'm still re-covering from the school day."

"Lori's mom drives me home so that I can get my duffel bag."

"A text comes through from Dad shortly after I get up."

"So when is she going to call?"

"The farther I get from Ethan's house, the better I feel."

"The camera crew films me making a gum-paste hibiscus flower for the cake; then they ask me to show Dad how to do it."

"Jack drives me home."

"A muffled thump from downstairs wakes me."

"Thursday night I dream about Mom."

"I wake up, look out the window"

"I smell lilacs, see the tiny green buds waking up on the trees."

"Between Nanny's recovery and my injury, Mr. Roz and Dad have had to hire a new cake decorator."

"I head out the door first thing in the morning."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, let me know what you think. Hope you enjoy the blog, I love reading each and every comment. :)