Friday, December 10, 2010

Sentence Sneak Peek - Rosebush

Rosebush by Michele Jaffe

The first sentence from each chapter of Rosebush, it's a mini summary of what you can expect to read.

*All sentences taken from an ARC I received via Different Area Codes tours
*Highlighted parts cover spoilers


Prologue: "The image is stark yet beautiful."

"It's hard to talk when you're being kissed."

"It started the summer before freshman year."

"If the monstrosity that Joe had built was a Chatoo, then the house Langley lived in with her grandparents was a palace, but a real one."

"When we got there, the party was a throbbing, gyrating mass of colorful bodies that parted like the ocean as we got to them with something like a collective exhaling of breath, as though everyone had been waiting for us."

"I stood at the tip of the dock, shaking my head."

"
Annie did what she always did when she was nervous--she started talking."

"Loretta flung the door open."

"Her words, that mocking glance seemed to linger in the air like the heavy perfume of Ollie's flowers even after the door clicked closed."

"The word had swooped into my brain like an alien invasion and left me feeling just as rattled and confused as if I'd woken up on a spaceship."

"At first I thought Langley meant my mother, but then I realized she was looking at the dark-haired girl standing slightly behind my mom in the doorway."

"Nicky and I had been assigned as biology lab partners at the beginning of the year, and the second week of classes she'd invited me to her house to work on an extra-credit project."

"The planks of the dock were warm beneath my feet."

"I don't always abandon you for my girls," I insisted."

"Elsa."

"Officer Rowley closed the door behind them and pulled a chair up next to my bed."

"A dollar seventy-nine for your thoughts," Langley's voice said from the door of my room."

"Get out!"
"The door closed, leaving me alone with the guy named Pete."

"Oh, I'm all too aware of that, J.J.," Scott said."

"I didn't dream that night."

"The ringing of the phone woke me up."

"Did you have any special destination in mind?"

"I stared at him, not sure that I'd heard him correctly."

"Loretta sent Pete off to do something "he wouldn't dawdle at" and moved me into the wheelchair with a broom to help with the cleanup."

"Sloan said, "I don't know."

"That evening Joe took my mother and Annie to Annie's favorite pizza place for dinner while I enjoyed a selection of beige food in my bed with the TV."

"I remembered Bonnie's funeral."

"The dock jutted over the smooth water of the lake like the tongue of a mouth about to scream, the yellowed trees surrounding it like teeth."

"
Scott was pacing my room when we got back."

"I knew I should call for help."

"Whatever Loretta gave me knocked me out cold."

"I should have known about Ollie all along."

"I stood on the tip of the dock, marveling at the stillness."

Afterward: "The image is a mess."

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, let me know what you think. Hope you enjoy the blog, I love reading each and every comment. :)