Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Sentence Sneak Peek - Virals

Virals by Kathy Reichs

The first sentence from each chapter of Virals, it's a mini summary of what you can expect to read.

*All first sentences are from an ARC I read via Star Book Tours.

 "A gunshot is the loudest sound in the universe."

"The whole thing started with a dog tag."

"Outside I waited for Hi to appear."

"Tight squeeze, then I was in, blinking to adjust my eyes."

"If you can't find the problem, just admit it."

"Whoa whoa whoa!"

"Hi had been captured by the enemy."

"The man gazed down from Karsten's office window."

"Light flashed."

"At home, disaster lurked."

"Safely locked in my room, I seethed."

"Damp gusts tugged at my flimsy Gap poncho."

"Cool air oozed from the darkness, bringing with it the smell of disinfectant and air conditioning."

"A windowless steel door barred our path."

"An ear-splitting wail pulsed through the building."

"Dr. Marcus Karsten went cold."

"sat in the Bolton Prep library, researching on my lunch hour."

"What's with the doggy show?"

"Three o'clock found me sitting on Bolton's front steps, impatiently waiting for Hi and Shelton."

"Two hours later, frustration reigned."

"My body dozed on the boat ride home."

"Brian Limestone was anxious."

"The next day, school seemed endless."

"Disembarking the Charlesto-Morris ferry, we raced to our houses to change."

"I snapped out of my trance."

"You guys hear that?"

"We should go to the police right now!"

"I ambushed Kit before his morning coffee."

"The rest of the morning was a disaster."

"On the return trip my mind spun wheelies."

"Why do all your brilliant ideas involve felonies?"

"I hit the deck, crawled to the window, and peeked over the sill."

"The alarm blasted for ten minutes before I stirred."

"The next morning I woke up smiling."

"Mr. Stolowitski."

"The director of LIRI was angry."

"Carl said I talked too much."

"Saturday arrived with heavy storm clouds."

"My nap wasn't to be."

"I tried to flee, but my feet were lead."

"Monday morning dawned really, really early."

"Nurse Riley viewed my tongue."

"Coop nipped my fingers, waiting to play."

"I slammed my locker door."

"No way was I going to school the next day."

"That night, the storm raging inside me broke."

"An hour later I paused on Bolton's front steps, dreading what awaited me inside the doors."

"Hi and Shelton hurried along Beaufain Street."

"Ben and I stood outside the doors of LIRI."

"Leaving the library, Hi and Shelton began the fifteen-minute hike to the marina."

"Where have you been?"

"Tory Brennan."

"You've been sick?"

"Shh!"

"Blinking to clear my vision, I looked behind me."

"I returned to my workstation."

"I glanced around, making sure I had the right universe."

"The bus dropped us near James Island Park, a sleepy tangle of tree-lined paths meandering through salt marsh."

"Why go out there now?"

"All the way home, I was totally jazzed."

"I woke early the next morning, on fire with an idea."

"The boys agreed to wait at the Charleston marina."

"It took a moment for my eyes to adjust."

"Chance had played me like a xylophone."

"Tory?"

"The Brennan girl walked right past the Bentley."

"He's lying," Shelton said."

"Damn."

"We scurried down a narrow passage to an iron gate."

"My eyes widened."

"You're crazy."

"Tory!"

"The sun blazed down from the top of its arc as Ben anchored Sewee off Turtle Beach."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, let me know what you think. Hope you enjoy the blog, I love reading each and every comment. :)