Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Sentence Sneak Peek - Touched by an Alien

Touched by an Alien by Gini Koch

The first sentence from each chapter of Touched by an Alien, it's a mini summary of what you can expect to read.

*Please note that in the books they aren't yelling when these lines are said that's just how the lines are formatted so that's how I'll be typing them for you to view.


"WHAT GETS ME IS THAT IN ALL THE COMIC BOOKS and movies and even novels, whenever someone gets superpowers, there's at least an eighty percent likelihood they'll use said powers for good."

"MY FIRST SUPERBEING WAS AN ACCIDENT."

"I WOKE UP INSIDE THE CAR."


"IT TURNED OUT HEADQUARTERS was in New Mexico, of all places."

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN?"

"WHITE HEAVED A SIGH."

"THE GATE SWUNG OPEN, but there was no indication of an electronic eye or any kind of mechanism."

"GOWER POINTED."

"TURNED OUT THE TWO BIG GATES were the ones calibrated for the Science Center and Home Base at all times."

"GETTING INTO THE MEN'S ROOM wasn't as tricky as getting out."

"WHO'S MEPHISTOPHELES?"

"MOM LEANED BACK IN THE SEAT."

"THE TRIP TO LA GUARDIA WAS QUIET."

"THAT CHEERFUL STATEMENT SAT ON THE AIR for a while.'

"I AWOKE WITH A START"

"MARTINI TOOK MY HAND, and Christopher took Mom's."

"THE ONLY SEMI-COHERENT THOUGHT I could muster was, if his kiss was any indication, Martini wasn't lying when he said he was great in bed."

"WHITE LED US INTO A GOOD-SIZED CONFERENCE room."

"UM, WHEN IS MY FATHER GETTING HERE?"

"WE FOND MOM WITH GOWER, at a large screen that looked like something out of a futuristic movie--clear glass with lights and writing moving on it seemingly without outside assistance."

"I WAS HAVING A NIGHTMARE."

"I WOKE UP AGAIN, BUT THIS TIME it wasn't because of a dream."

"I HEARD AN ANNOYING BEEPING."

"THE CLOTHES IN THE DRAWER for me were what I'd seen most of the other women wearing--a black slim skirt and white oxford-type shirt."

"I HADN'T SERIOUSLY CONSIDERED MARRYING Martini until Mom said no one would let us."

"WE ONLY KNOW ABOUT THE PARASITES from our translations of the Ancients' texts," White explained as we all headed to the Research level."

"BEDLAM'S AN INTERESTING WORD."

"NO BEDLAM THIS TIME, just silence."

"I SAW MARTINI RELAX, just a tiny bit, but the anger was still there."

"NOW, EVERYONE I DIDN'T NAME clears the hell out."

"AFTER A LITTLE MORE WRANGLING, whining , and use-less posturing, White and Gower left."

"STUNNED SILENCE FILLED THE ROOM."

"WE KNOW WHERE THE PARASITE IS."

"I SENT CLAUDIA AND LORRAINE OFF to figure out what the best way to spray the alcohol would be."

"MARTINI KEPT HIS ARM AROUND MY SHOULDERS, and I kept mine around his waist as we left the library to head back to the transient section."

"WE GOT ABOUT TEN PACES outside of Command Center Central when Reader ran up."

"I HEADED OFF DOWN THE HALL."

"CHRISTOPHER WAS DEFINITELY AN ALIEN."

"WE LOADED INTO THE CARS."

"I STOPPED THE CAR NEAR READER but still far away from the other SUV."

"AT LEAST THEY KNEW HOW TO SWING into action when it mattered."

"I WENT TO THE DRIVER'S SEAT and dug through my purse."

"I WAS LUCKY."

"I WONDERED IF MEPHISTOPHELES was going to engage me now, but he was still hanging back."

"THE FRONT OF THE SUV WAS CRUSHED."

"THE BEDLAM STARTED, with a lot of male voices talk-ing over each other."

"I WANTED TO CRY--my eyes were certainly filled with tears."

"I TUMBLED ONTO THE FLOOR, onto a heap of men."

"WE ARGUED ABOUT ASKING for a human pilot as we ran to the jets."

"AS IF THINGS DIDN'T SUCK QUITE ENOUGH."

"WE ALL HAD TO GO ON HANDS AND KNEES."

"WE MOVED UP THE STAIRWELL."

"THE TERRORISTS WERE TRANSPORTED
to the warehouse."

"A MEMORY THAT WASN'T MINE came rushing over me, as if I were watching a scene from a movie."

"PUT THOSE GUNS DOWN," my mother snapped."

"I SPENT MOST OF THE NEXT DAY and a half sleeping."

"WE WENT TO MY ROOM so I could grab my purse, then strolled to the elevator banks."

"I PUT THE LUGGAGE BACK ON, he took my hand, and we moved at slow hyperspeed, which should have been an oxymoron but wasn't."

"I WALKED TO THE ELEVATOR BANKS and managed to get to the eighth floor all by myself."

"MARTINI PICKED ME UP and cradled me in his arms while I buried my face in his neck."

"MARTINI MOVED US OFF THE COUCH at hyperspeed."

"WE STROLLED OUT OF THE ROOM,  and Yates followed."

"I HEARD THE BAYING OF HOUNDS."

"THE NEXT FEW DAYS WERE A BLUR."

"YOU NEED MORE SUNSCREEN?"

3 comments:

  1. Awesome! I love "Bedlam's an interesting word."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I like making these Sneak Peeks because it does give you an interesting sense of the whole story and the characters. Plus some of the first lines of chapters end up sounding pretty funny out of context. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was weird to read this and realize, yeah, that is indeed how the chapters start. LOL Very cool idea, Becky, thanks for doing it!

    ReplyDelete

Hi, let me know what you think. Hope you enjoy the blog, I love reading each and every comment. :)