Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Sentence Sneak Peek - Mockingjay

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins


The first sentence from each chapter of Mockingjay, it's a mini summary of what you can expect to read.


"I stare down at my shoes, watching as a fine layer of ash settles on the worn leather."

"Are there Capitol hoverplanes speeding in to blow us out of the sky?"

"Buttercup's eyes reflect the faint glow of the safety light over the door as he lies in the crook of Prim's arm, back on the job, protecting her from the night."

"The stink of unwashed bodies, stale urine, and infection breaks through the cloud of antiseptic."

"Another force to contend with."

"The shock of hearing Haymitch's voice yesterday, of learning that he was not only functional but had some measure of control over my life again, enraged me."

"The hovercraft makes a quick, spiral descent onto a wide road on the outskirts of 8."

"Boggs appears and gets a firm lock on my arm, but I'm not planning on running now."

"I stop trying to sleep after my first few attempts are interrupted by unspeakable nightmares."

"The scream begins in my lower back and works its way up through my body only to jam in my throat."

"What will break me?"

"Today I might lose both of them."

"The cold collar chafes my neck and makes the shivering even harder to control."

"District 2 is a large district, as one might expect, composed of a series of villages spread across the mountains."

"The implications of what Gale is suggesting settle quietly around the room."

"Always."

"Blindsided"

"I throw myself into training with a vengeance."

"I've never really seen Boggs angry before."

"It's as if in an instant, a painted window shatters, revealing the ugly world behind it."

"This makes two requests for Peeta's death in less than an hour."

"The grace period has ended."

"Who the woman was calling to remains a mystery, because after searching the apartment, we find she was alone."

"A chill runs through me."

"Real or not real?"

"Out in the hall, I find Paylor standing in exactly the same spot."

"In the stunned reaction that follows, I'm aware of one sound."

"They play in the Meadow."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, let me know what you think. Hope you enjoy the blog, I love reading each and every comment. :)